Monday, October 12, 2009

The Party Game

Since I currently don't have a "real" job (that would be one that doesn't involve my own children and pays money), I sometimes pretend I'm a party planner.  It's not too far off base.  I can remember as college graduation neared, my friends and I discussed plans for our future.  Some were flying to Chicago and Manhattan for corporate PR job interviews.  Some would go on to pursue Masters and Doctorate degrees in Advertising/PR.  Some had already decided to go back to school for something completely different- architecture and interior design.  Me?  I said that I would work for myself planning events. Secretly, I've always wanted to own a salon, too.  I know, it's completely random.

Often, when I'm driving down the street and my kids are watching Madagascar or Finding Nemo for the 4,567th time, I play a game with myself about party planning. I come up with a random theme and challenge myself to pair it with just the right fabrics, paper, food, and decor to make it exquisite. I give myself extra points if the party comes together on a shoe string budget. My favorites are the ones that look like a million bucks with dollar store finds (even if the parties only exist in my mind). My client would be tickled at the bargains I find for her!  I combine old with some new, country with tres sophisticate, vintage with some modern. I'm so tickled with my end results. In my mind, all the guests are happy, too.

I also love to dream up reasons for parties.  There's the wife and children who want to welcome home their Dad/husband who will return from time overseas after a tour of duty. There's the daughter who wants to celebrate her mother's 50 birthday with a "Pink Poodle Party."  There's a treasure hunt for Kindergarteners in the park in the fall for no reason at all other than to have a good time with their new classmates. 

I recently began assisting a party planner friend at weddings. This is a whole new kind of party planning experience for me.  I put on my pumps and work my tail off and have THE best time doing it! I feel like Cinderella at the ball- ahhhhh- my own little fairytale. I love to hear the stories about the couples- where they're from and how they met. I wait in eager anticipation to see the dresses and the flowers, taste the food, feel the emotion, judge the cake, and care for the bride. I haven't experienced a difficult bride yet- stay tuned- my opinion could change.

Then there's the cake. Ahhh, the cake. I love cake more than Buddy (Mr. Fabulous Fat Fanny) loves football, more than pigs love mud, and more than women love shoes. My favorite part of any celebration is the cake. I love to look at it, cut it, serve it, eat it, critique it, and make it. I love cake.

During my career in advertising/PR, I had many chances to plan corporate parties, grand opening galas, and community-related events.  Oh sure, that was fun, but nothing like parties that include human emotion.  Sharing a bride's last few minutes before she and her father walk down the aisle is incredible.

Who knows? Maybe I knew myself better in college than I thought I did.  Maybe, just maybe, this Fabulous Fat Fanny could have a career in baking or party-planning. 

1 comment:

  1. It's funny....but, when we are kids we always dream of what we want to do. Even now, I tell my kids that they can be anything that they want to be. When do we stop believing in ourselves??? I hope that you follow your dream.

    I, too, had a dream in college. I said that one day I wanted to own a vinyard. Well, I hope that I can still live out that dream. I really want to work in the wine industry and plan to pursue that at some point.

    You go for it!!! You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete